How to Paint a valve cover on a car
If you like tuning your car, you know that spending a lot of money on the engine compartment is mandatory. However, there are many things that are free or very cheap. One of them is painting your engine valve cover. The ideal process is to remove it and then paint it. But, this is a more demanding process and you will have to replace the gasket under the valve cover. On the other side, you can do this without removing a valve cover.
1. Almost all valve covers are oily. This means that you cannot sand them properly and paint won’t stick to it. There are many solutions on how to remove oil from it. You can even use gasoline in order to remove oil.
2. Now, you should start using sandpaper. Sand the whole surface. If your valve cover is old and rusty, you must sand it until it looks like new.
3. Sand all edges and markings as well.
4. Use masking tape in order to protect parts that are close to the valve cover. You can also use an old blanket or etc. In essence, everything works.
5. Use a masking tape and protect oil cap. It has a small hole, so paint shouldn’t get into the engine.
6. Use paint spray and paint your valve cover. You must use a paint spray that is heat-resistant.
After you are done, close the hood and wait a couple of minutes. After that time, remove masking tapes. If you remove them too soon, you can damage painted surfaces. You can use the same procedure for other parts in the engine compartment.